Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Tasty Tuesdays: Skip the Drive-thru

I am not ashamed to admit my deep love for fast food breakfasts, but alas one can not eat McGriddles every morning & expect to slim down. Since I have the appetite of an ogre I don't stay full for long, which is a problem because then I want to eat everything in site. I have now found a quick & easy breakfast that keeps me full from 8:00AM all the way til 1:00PM.  Yeah I'm super hungry by the time lunch rolls around, but hey at least I'm able to walk by the vending machine without wanting to attack it due to hunger pains earlier in the day.

I know juicing is super trendy & hip, but 1. I don't have the $$ for a juicer, 2. I don't have the patience for the cleanup, & 3. If it tastes gross I don't want to drink it. All that being said smoothies are definitely better in my book because you still get to keep all the fiber from from the fruit skins & I like the smoothie texture better. David & I have been using kale/spinach & a banana as the base, & then add a little bit of frozen fruit (blueberries, strawberries, pineapple, mango) along with a little water, almond milk, & honey. I don't have exact measurements, but you can kind of tell from the picture the proportions that I used. The more liquid that's in there, the better the kale blends .. nothing is worse than having to chew kale up in your smoothie :(
While I'm drinking my smoothie I make the other half of my breakfast, my naked breakfast sandwich. I don't know why I just gave it that name other than the fact that I don't put any condiments on it ... so yeah that equals naked. The sandwich is super basic, but I like the flavor & it helps to keep me full until lunch time. First, I toast a piece of ezekiel bread, then I make a sunny-side up egg & top it with s+p & a sprinkle of feta cheese.  I know that this probably sounds boring to some, but the "dippy" egg & feta make it a bit more interesting :) If I'm not feeling the "naked" sandwich I usually make stovetop steel cut oats with granny smith apples (recipe here).
We've only been drinking the smoothies for 2 weeks now, but I really feel like I have a lot more energy during the day & I don't feel weighed down from a heavy breakfast. It's also a great way to get a portion of your daily fruits & veggies out of the way for those of us who struggle to get enough of them in our diet ... whoopsies :) Check back tomorrow to see how I styled my favorite summer dress for winter <3

1 comment:

  1. Great post! I also started drinking smoothies recently and I love them!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by :)
I love the feedback & look forward to
checking out all of your lovely blogs <3