Sunday, February 9, 2014

DIY: Pom-Pom Sweater

Although it's Sunday & the weekend is almost done, you still have time to fit in this simple D.I.Y. ! I bought this plain grey sweatshirt ages ago at the thrift store for like $4 (it's so freakin soft!!) & tragically it got lost in a sea of other grey sweaters/sweatshirts in my closet .. until now :) You can do this D.I.Y. on any shirt/sweater/sweatshirt & there are tons of different options when it comes to how you want to style your pom-poms. I wanted to go for a subtle "baseball" style where I just added the pom-poms to the sleeves, but like I said earlier do whatever your pretty little heart desires <3
This D.I.Y. is super cheap & doesn't require a lot of material, just raid your closet for a neglected top or sweater that you're bored with & let the D.I.Y.ing begin! Tools needed: Top, needle, thread, & pom-poms. 
I bought the pom-poms at Jo-Ann fabrics in the crafting section for around $1 each. I only bought 2 packs the first time & ended up running out, so you might want to purchase 3 packs just to be safe. If you're more of the adventurous type & really want to make a statement you can go with the bigger ones or possibly even the glittery ones, I just kept it neutral to be safe :)
Before deciding that I wanted the pom-poms on the sleeves I played around with a couple of other styles. I almost went with the one in the bottom right corner, but it was a bit much for me. Which one do you like??
Once I decided on a style I measured out where I wanted all the pom-poms & used a measuring tape to help me space them equally. After I decided on spacing them 2 inches apart, I marked the spot with a sharpie & proceeded to sew the line of pom-poms on. Once I had the first row finished I was able to map out how far apart I wanted the next line & so on & so forth. 
This project ended taking up about 4 reality TV shows worth of time, whatever that translates to. Of course if you put the pom-poms closer together & add more lines it's going to take more time. Since this sweatshirt is made of such light material I can guarantee you'll be seeing a lot more of it this Spring! 


5 comments:

  1. Ah, this is so cute! I did my first DIY today! I can't wait to share it with everybody. I loved all the ideas before you did the sleeves. I love the final look though. I have to try this out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I saw you getting crafty on Instagram & can't wait to see your creation! I've been wearing the sweater all day & I might need to go back & sew the pom-poms with a thicker thread .. a couple of them have popped off lol.

      Delete
  2. this is such a cute idea!

    xxoo,
    nikki

    www.dreaminneon.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, it's definitely a fun conversation piece :)

      Delete
  3. Cute! I really like putting the poms on the sleeves, and they take a comfy sweatshirt (my favorite) to a new level!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by :)
I love the feedback & look forward to
checking out all of your lovely blogs <3