Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Tasty Tuesdays: Smashed & Loaded Cauliflower

Today's recipe is a "Waverly Original" yup folks, I came up with this little doozy of a recipe all by myself last night! It was inspired by a bare refrigerator & my love for calorie laden dishes, this dish however is a much lighter version that still packs some serious flavor :) One of my favorite foods growing up that I only got to eat on special occasions (because it's kind of time consuming) were twice baked potatoes. Twice baked potatoes take the best of both worlds.. mashed potatoes + baked potato toppings = twice baked potatoes. Lucky for me I had fake potatoes aka a head of cauliflower in my fridge, cheddar cheese, fresh garlic, chives, a cabinet full of seasonings, & way too much imagination for just one person! Enough blabbering over here, check out the pictures below to see how you can make this tasty & affordable dish.
Take a head of cauliflower & cut it up into small pieces. 
( I left mine too large & it took forever to cook! smaller pieces=less cook time)
Steam your cauliflower until it becomes "mashable" or easy to break apart with a fork.
Drain out the water from the pot & return the cauliflower to the pot.
I just so happened to have a little bit of chicken broth in my fridge so I through in about 1/2 cup, along with the last of the sour cream we had which was around a heaping tablespoon, & a splash of cream.
Then I dumped in one clove of freshly minced garlic, 3/4 cup of shredded cheddar cheese, & a handful of chives.
Keep the burner on low while you're mixing & mashing this whole thing together. 
Before topping your bowl of deliciousness with more cheese & scallions it's important that you add these seasonings: salt, pepper, paprika, & the kicker Lawry's Seasoning Salt! I don't know why I thought it'd be appropriate to add it to a cauliflower dish, but I'm so happy I did because that combo of spices takes this dish to another level. Make sure once you've added your seasonings that you mix it up well, I didn't the first time & got a bite full of salt .. yickkk! I ended up eating two big cereal bowls worth of this stuff last night, & I'm not even a huge cauliflower fan .. so that must mean it's good right?! Wishing you all a Tasty Tuesday & a great rest of your week :)

PS: I'm sorry the measurements aren't more precise, but I hate measuring & rather go by taste! When in doubt add a little & try it before adding more .. it's much easier to add than to take away with cooking, I've learned the hard way lol. 

3 comments:

  1. Heck yes! I am all over this. Looks so so good. Adore this post, love. If you get a free moment, I'd love to hear your thoughts on my latest. :) xo

    www.fashboulevard.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe I should give cauliflower another try.... This looks delicious! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by :)
I love the feedback & look forward to
checking out all of your lovely blogs <3