Friday, August 23, 2013

"Free" Skirts for Everyone!

Yesterday I shared with you how to make a "new" top out of a dress & today I'm here to show you the opposite, how to make a "new" skirt out of a dress! I wore this outfit to my 3 year wedding anniversary last week & I'm already imagining all the other shirts & dresses I can pair together! I really liked the contrast between the uber girly pink dress in contrast to the simple boyfriend tee, but there are plenty of other combos so don't get caught in the mindset that there's only one way. 
I chose to knot my tee at the waist of my dress to exentuate my waist & break up the dress. I also finally got to debut the heels that I got from David's family for my birthday :) These shoes have a serious platform, but thanks to the thick heel they're surprisingly comfortable & easy to walk in. I'm already thinking about how I'm going to style them for Fall, or until it gets too cold for toes to be on display lol. I purchased this Forever 21 dress at the beginning on the year for under $15 & boy oh boy have I gotten SOOO much use out of it here, here, & here! I made another little "chart" below to show you some more options for turning your dresses into skirts, enjoy! 

How to make a Dress a Skirt
1. BRUNCH
As much as we don't want to acknowledge the fact that cooler temperatures are just around the corner, it's important that we're prepared! Maxis are NOT only for the summer & can easily be made appropriate for chilly Fall weather simply by changing what you're wearing up top. A light fitted sweatshirt will do just the trick by keeping your arms warm while still allowing your body to have a shape & not look like a blob covered in fabric. To instantly spice this neutral outfit I added a bold colorful statement necklace & some fun printed flats. 

2. DATE
When you're going on a date you want to feel pretty, but you don't want to look like you tried too hard. For a casual date I picked a midi bodycon dress to still show off the womanly curves that make us so utterly desirable, while dressing it down with a simple baseball tee up top. If the Shirt you're wearing up top is baggy feel free to belt it to provide a more polished fitted look. I LOVE Converses so I wear them with anything, but this look is versatile enough that you could throw on sandals or loafers or get crazy & do pumps!

3. Party
The final look is the most similar to the look that I wore above. I kept it basic with a white button-up but you could pick a fun printed button-up to give it a whole nother vibe. Since the clothing portion of this outfit was so girly I chose black accessories including a "power bootie" just in case anyone at the party you're attending gets too loud & you have to put them in their place .. just kidding violence isn't the answer :)   

I hope that you enjoyed this post & have a fantastic weekend!! I'm heading to PA for my cousin's wedding & knowing them it's going to be BEEEAUTIFUL ... eek very excited over here <3

Dress-FOREVER21, Tee-GAP, Necklace-THRIFTED, Heels-STEVE MADDEN (Gifted)

4 comments:

  1. I really need to try this more often, I've only done it a couple times so far! Looking super cute! :)

    Kamola
    99 Boxes of Shoes on the Wall

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of my favorite ways to stretch my wardrobe -- love the outfits you've put together!

    xo, Liz
    {What Dress Code?}

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really need to try this out, in fact I have a maxi dress perfect for Fall transitioning
    Deejay Speaks

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll take the Valentino dress. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by :)
I love the feedback & look forward to
checking out all of your lovely blogs <3