Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Tasty Tuesdays: Ichiban Birthday Dinner

Last week I went out to dinner to celebrate my dear friend Ashley's Birthday :) Ashley was one of my first friends that I made when I moved to Maryland four years ago & I seriously don't know what I would do without her! We decided on sushi (of course) & ended up grabbing dinner at Ichiban in Bowie, MD. It was such a wonderful evening full of laughs, smiles, & TONNNNS of sushi <3 I've only done a "review" style post once before [here] when I had brunch at 18th Ammendment. I'm thinking about adding more review posts of some of my favorite restaurants every once in a while, what do you guys think? Is that something you'd be interested in reading?!
Review: First off this restaurant really is a gem hidden in a strip mall. The inside of the restaurant is beautifully decorated with both a dining room & a separate bar area. You can also see the sushi being prepared fresh for you behind a glass counter by their chefs. I've dined at Ichiban several times before & I've always really really really enjoyed their sushi. We started off with some of their plum wine (Ashley's favorite) & chicken lettuce wraps which were so scrumptious (I definitely recommend starting off with them). Another thing that Ichiban has over the competition is their "Ichiban Salad" which is made up of shredded crab meat, seaweed, cucumber, bread crumbs, sesame seeds, eel sauce, & spicy mayo. The combination might sound a little strange at first, but give it a chance because the flavors really do compliment each other. Now on to sushi, they always have several daily special rolls listed on the wall & this time we decided on the lobster roll :) Drum-roll pleeeease .. this is the FIRST time that I've gotten a lobster roll where I didn't have to go on a scavenger hunt to find the lobster meat!!! I was also pleasantly surprised to hear that they cook the lobster on site at the restaurant which is probably why the lobster meat was in nice big chunks as opposed to sad little shreds like at most restaurants. My other favorite roll of the night was the mango roll pictured above to the right. The roll consisted of smoked salmon, fresh mango, & tempura fried shrimp wrapped in a mango soy wrapper. This was my first time having mango in a sushi roll, but since I'm obsessed with everything else mango I figured why not try mango in sushi?! Verdict- YES, mango can definitely go in a sushi roll & the sweetness adds a lot of dimension to the rest of the roll & goes great with the tempura shrimp!! 

I also have to give our server of the night an A+ because he was so patient with us (we hadn't seen each other in a while so lots of talking & laughing) & was such a good sport taking our picture for us :) Don't worry I gave him a slice of the birthday cake that I'd made for Ashley. Overall, I would definitely recommend Ichiban to anyone looking for great sushi in the Bowie area. Just make sure to order an appetizer if you order a specialty roll, because sometimes those rolls can take a while to be prepared. 
I made Ash a heart shaped strawberry cake <3 Cake is definitely better when it's in a cool shape :)
Blouse, Necklace, Booties- THRIFTED, Leggings- TARGET, Purse-CHLOE (gifted)

I through this outfit together last minute, but I'm pretty happy with it. This is the first time that I've worn this leopard blouse long as opposed to knotted up in the front. These leggings were perfect for a night full of face stuffing thanks to their stretchy waist & this shirt did a great job of camouflaging my food baby :)  

PS: I'm already working on next week's Tasty Tuesdays post, I'll give you a hint "Oink"

3 comments:

  1. Ok, my mouth is actually watering from the sushi pics... looks so yummy!

    And I can't believe that blouse and necklace are thrifted! You are TOO good at thrifting, teach me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! You just made me so hungry! I love that heart shaped strawberry cake, it looks adorable! and you look fab!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, thanks for the comment on my blog post about glasses I had a hunt and the frames I got are out of stock at the moment they are http://www.firmoo.com/eyeglasses-p-2003.html in a different colour combo. The site updates with new frames really often sohopefully you will find some ones you love soon. xx

    ps that food looks amazing xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by :)
I love the feedback & look forward to
checking out all of your lovely blogs <3