Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Tasty Tuesdays: Shredded Salsa Chicken

Yup, it's Tuesday again :) Last night I had a couple of friends over for dinner so I thought I'd share with you what I made. Since I work during the day & didn't want to rush around like a mad woman trying to whip something together I opted for a crock pot recipe so that I wouldn't have to worry about preparing the main part of the meal when I got home. I decided on shredded chicken tacos since I'd seen several different recipes floating around on the internet, and lets face it anything that's even remotely "Mexican" I LOOOVE!
The recipe that I based this off of was from food.com & you can view the original recipe here. Below are the changes that I made to the recipe. 
-I left the corn & beans out
-I only had 1 jar of salsa so I used a can of diced tomatoes to replace the other jar of salsa
-I cooked if for 6 1/2 hours, shredded the chicken & drained most of the remaining liquid out of the C.P.
-I then put the shredded chicken back in the C.P. & added cumin, garlic salt, onion powder, oregano to taste, & more salsa, close to 1 cup ( I ran to the store to get more :)
Hard at work shredding the chicken
Yayy, finally done with the shredding!! I through it back in the C.P. with the additional salsa + the secret ingredient CREAM CHEESE 2 tablespoons not to be exact ( You can add as much or as little to make the dish creamier) Allow the chicken to heat up & mix with the cream cheese & salsa. 
Friends & the husband excited to finally get to eat :)
I LOOOOADED my taco up with black beans, guacamole, cheese, salsa, sour cream, & lettuce. When I tell you these were a hit let me clarify for you in was an easy cleanup because I had no leftovers to wrap up because there was not a bite left! Everyone had 3 tacos each including me (duhh). I also made rice to go on the side & white chocolate chip macadamia cookies for dessert. Needless to say I'm going to be going for a run tonight with David :) 
Great food + Great company = Great night! I'm definitely going to make this recipe again, especially since I think the shredded chicken will freeze well. Happy Tasty Tuesday, I'd love to hear about what you're cooking up this week <3

4 comments:

  1. Yum! I've made something similar and it was a hit too. But, as for freezing the chicken, one tip... make sure it is "plain" shredded recipe chicken w/just seasoning (and maybe some broth or water to keep it from drying out while cooking). I recently learned that if you freeze a cheese/salsa-fied recipe it separates funny when you reheat it. But, I freeze plain shredded chicken all the time and it's perfect for topping off lunch salads during the week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mouth is watering, oh my goodness! Someone needs to invent something where I can just...instantly obtain food from my laptop screen haha :)

    -Jenn
    chīsana blogger

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy! Lovely idea for a small get together. =)
    xo,
    nancy
    http://adoretoadorn.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a hard working wife you are!!! You have some great chicken recipes!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by :)
I love the feedback & look forward to
checking out all of your lovely blogs <3